You Take the Cake Birthday Card




Today (7/31) is my mother-in-law's birthday.  I took her to the city the other day and we had a nice lunch at Red Lobster.  I then took her shopping at one of her favorite stores as she can't always make it to that store.  It was a nice day.  Tonight, we will get together with all of the family who is in town.  That's when I will give her present and card to her.  I thought I would make a card using "latte" in it as we both like our lattes.  However, as I was looking for the latte cup on my Imagine More Cards cartridge, I found the "You Take the Cake" image and decided to go with that instead.  I have discovered that I really like pink and brown when they are used together, so I decided to focus on those colors on the image and make this simple, but pretty card.  I wanted to make a 4"X4" card so I also ended up making my own envelope, but more on that later.  I mistakenly deleted the video, so this time you will just get the recipe.


Supplies:
Brown Ribbon (American Crafts "Haute")
Brown Cardstock (Reflections) - cut to 8"X4"
Pink cardstock (from my stash) - cut one at 3.75"X 3/.75" and the other at 3.75" tall and 3.5" wide.
Paper (I used HOTP soft tints pink gingham) - cut 8" X 8"
White Cardstock - (I use the kind from Sam's or Costco)
Adhesive - foam and your choice of other (I used ZIG, ATG, and Tombow)
Tim Hotz Distress ink - Walnut Stain
Stickles - icicle


Tools -
Cricut Imagine
Cricut - Imagine More Cards Cartridge (pages 9 & 30)
ATG dispenser
Cuttleug
Cuttlebug D'vine Swirls
Foam Ink Applicator
Happy Birthday stamp (I used one from stamendous)
EK Success border punch.


Let's Get Started:
Cut the "You Take the Cake" image with all its layers at 2.5" and the "Happy Birthday" banner on page 30 at 1".  Assemble the cake image.  Run the pink cardstock measuring 3.75 X 3.75 through the Cuttlebug using "D'vine Swirls."  Cut the bottom edge of the inside pink sheet with the EK Success border punch.  Using the ink applicator tool and "Walnut Stain" distress ink, ink lightly around both pink pieces as well as the "Happy Birthday" banner.  Stamp "Happy Birthday" on the inner pink piece of cardstock and adhere it to the inside of the card.
Adhere the ribbon to the center of the front piece of pink cardstock, bringing the edges to the back.  Mount the pink piece to the front of the card base.  Using foam adhesive, mount the "You Take the Cake" over the front of the ribbon.  Apply icicle stickles to the frosting on the cupcake.


Envelope  - Using the Martha Stewart scoreboard with the envelope making guide, place the cut paper on a 45 degree angle , score each corner at 3 3/8.  Fold up sides and bottom to form and envelope using adhesive to adhere the sides and the bottom.  Cut the excess paper from the corners before adhering it.  (Watch for a future post for a thorough explanation and video to see how to use this tool.)  Adhere the "Happy Birthday" banner to the front of the envelope.  I made the printed side of the paper the inside of the envelope to mimic an insert.


Thanks for reading this tutorial.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Operation Write Home Memorial Day Blog Hop

Christmas Inspirations Blog Hop - Christmas Journal 2012

Monster Mash Blog Hop