Good Gifts

Waiting for the light to signal that we could cross the street, I heard the words, “Would you like your sunglasses?”  The answer was quick to follow:”Yes please, mom”.  The little one speaking the words couldn’t have been more than 2 or 3 years old but her words were so mature for such a tiny mouth.  I could hear her older sister chattering away but didn’t realize that in the next few minutes a little girl’s dreams would come true.  I thought she was just reading the signs around us when she said “Disney Way”.  Boy was I wrong!

We crossed the street and continued down the next block as the older girl continued to chatter to her parents and grandparents.  As we reached the end of the next block, she looked across the street and saw the sign that signaled you had arrived at Disneyland and she understood that it was near.  I heard her beg to go in and her mother say, “maybe next year”.  That was when I realized that she had no idea that she was about to enter the happiest place on earth.

I wanted to stay close to this 6 or 7 year old to witness her reaction.  I had told my husband that she was about to find out she was going to Disneyland and that I wanted to see it happen.  As the crowd surged across the street, we were separated and I was disappointed.  Then came a break in the crowd.  Just a few feet ahead I saw the little girl, brown hair bouncing and pink skirt twirling.  She had just figured out that she didn’t have to wait until next year.  She was going to Disneyland today.  Joyous cries of “thank you daddy” echoed in my ears.  As her family stopped to have their bags checked, our family ended up right behind her.  Her beaming daddy told us that she had just been surprised that she was going to Disneyland.  Several hours later, we passed a stroller with a beautiful little one sound asleep.  However, her big sister with bouncing hair and twirling pink skirt was still dancing in delight to be in Disneyland.

As I think of this happy time, I am reminded of some words from long ago:

“If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him?” (Matt. 7:11 – NKJV)
 
As much as this little girl’s daddy knew that this special gift would delight his daughter, this was a small thing compared to the gifts bestowed upon us by a loving Abba Father.  He has provided His children with a love that is beyond human comprehension.  He has provided them with an eternal home in heaven as well as with a personal relationship with Him now.   He delights to meet not only their needs but also the desires of their hearts when they are part of His perfect will.  Do you know Him?  He wants to be your Father and to welcome you into His family with open arms.  That my friend is far better than anything Disneyland can offer.

Comments

Valerie said…
Hi Cheri!
I LOVE your story! I love how you zoned into her youthful spirit!
I can totally see my 6 year old daughter exactly as your described! She is excited and giddy and spins and twirls over "beautiful flowers" aka weeds...I can only imaging how she would be at Disney!
So glad that you and your family had a wonderful time!
Valerie

Popular posts from this blog

Operation Write Home Memorial Day Blog Hop

Christmas Inspirations Blog Hop - Christmas Journal 2012

Monster Mash Blog Hop